Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Works Without Love Are Dead

Paul of Tarsus used to kill Christians for the Roman occupying government. He was possibly even a member of a political party known as "Zealots."

One day, around 2000 years ago, he was on a similar "killing mission" to the city of Damascus (ironically, a city also known for its sword-makers). 

Despite all of this, or because all of this, Paul had a spiritual conversion on that road, and spent the rest of his life spreading the Gospel of love.

Below is part of a letter he wrote to the early church that he helped form. The point, I think - is that intent is just as important as actions. In fact - you could say "works without love are dead." 

I honestly think that there are deep and powerful underlying forces that cause things to happen or not happen, and I think they are based on this basic concept. . . 

-----------------

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment